Wednesday, May 1, 2013

So close, and yet.....

It has taken quite a lot to get to Bayonne, France my brief resting spot for the night. I'm exhausted but I have to say that everything went pretty smoothly. The 24 hours of travel gave me plenty of time to think about why exactly I decided to do this...? I came to no real conclusion...

I was very excited to meet my first fellow "Peregrino" (pilgrim) today on the flight from Biarritz. "Bill from Canada" who looks to be fit as a fiddle and, much to my dismay, is carrying a pack that's half the size of mine for his 43 day trip. I think it's safe to say that I will be making donations and/or posting things home tomorrow. The good news is that I now have a friend on the trail...the bad news is that I will never keep up with him.

Arriving anywhere in Europe on May 1st is generally not a good idea I've learned. May Day is a much bigger deal here and everything is closed....the buses didn't even run today. I also struggled a bit to find food but ended up finding a great little sushi spot aptly called "Sushi Spot." Seemed a bit of an odd choice for my first night in France but it was very good.

I'm off to bed now...big day tomorrow! Fingers crossed that the anticipated storms will bypass here so we will be allowed to take Route de Napoleon through the Pyrenees.

Will see if I can share a photo of my too cute hotel room...it will be a while until I have this kind of lavish privacy again!

No comments:

Post a Comment